Court-Ordered Modifications

A judge signing a modification orderChild custody and visitation arrangements are not set in stone; they can be modified when there is a significant change in the circumstances of either parent or the child(ren). However, it's crucial to understand that the decision to make any changes to the existing custody and visitation order ultimately rests with the court. Attorneys Christopher C. and Patricia L. Cooke, of Cooke Law Firm, P.C., are here to guide you through this potentially complex and confusing process.

Significant changes in circumstances that may warrant modifications include, but are not limited to:

  • Parental Misconduct:
    If one parent engages in bad or illegal behavior, such as drug use or criminal activities, it can be grounds for modifying custody or visitation arrangements.

  • Diminished Parental Involvement:
    If a parent becomes less attentive or neglects their child in some provable way, the court may consider this as a reason for modification.

  • Parental Conflict:
    When parents are unable to cooperate or reach decisions about their child's well-being, it can create an unstable environment, leading to the need for custody and visitation modifications.

  • Relocation:
    Changes in the distance between the parties can affect the feasibility and fairness of existing visitation schedules, potentially requiring adjustments.

  • Remarriages or Changes in Living Circumstances:
    Significant life changes, such as remarriage or alterations in the living circumstances of the child, can also impact custody and visitation arrangements.

Modification of Child Support

Child support obligations can also be modified in certain circumstances. If you are the parent obligated to pay child support (the obligor) and you lose your job or experience a significant pay cut, you may be able to seek a reduction in your child support payments. Conversely, if you are the parent receiving child support (the obligee) and the obligor's income increases, you can seek an increase in child support payments to better meet the child's needs.

Beyond custody, visitation, and child support, there are other provisions in court orders that can be modified. If you have questions about whether a specific provision in a prior order can be modified, it's advisable to contact experienced family law attorneys like Christopher C. and Patricia L. Cooke at Cooke Law Firm, P.C.

For example, if a court order mandated one spouse to make payments to the other as spousal maintenance, it might be possible to seek a reduction in those payments based on changes in the parties' circumstances.

Each situation is unique, and experienced attorneys take into account various factors when evaluating the potential for modifications. That's why it's crucial to consult with a knowledgeable family law attorney to discuss your case thoroughly. They can provide you with informed guidance and help you navigate the legal processes required for modifications, ensuring that your rights and the best interests of your child are protected throughout the process.

Cleburne Personal Injury, Family and Child Welfare Law Attorneys

Contact Us Today to Schedule a Consultation