Enforcement of a Court Order

A motion for enforcement may be filed to enforce a court’s order; this can include a divorce decree or a SAPCR order (including child support, child custody or visitation orders). The person who files for an enforcement is called the Movant. The person who is served with, and allegedly violated the order, is the Respondent. The Respondent (the party against whom enforcement is sought) has a right to receive notice of the suit and must file a written answer. Attorneys at Cooke Law Firm, P.C. are well versed and immensely experienced in family law, and can help you understand all the ins and outs of enforcements. 

Texas law contains some very specific restrictions on the type of relief a party can seek from a court in attempting to enforce a property division. It is advisable to speak with an attorney to see what your options are if your ex-spouse is not following the court’s order related to the property division.

With regard to enforcing orders related to children, it is important to keep good, accurate documentation with regard to when violations took place. It is essential when filing to motion for enforcement to have very specific allegations based upon accurate documentation. The motion must be signed by the movant or the movant’s attorney and must state the provision of the order that has allegedly been violated, how the respondent has violated the order, and the relief sought.

In a case involving enforcing a child support order, the motion must also state the amount owed as required by the order, the amount paid (if any), and the exact amount of the arrearages. Seeking contempt requires additional layers of specificity and precision in the movant’s pleadings. It is important to speak with an attorney regarding these matters. 

Moreover, a respondent has various defenses and particular affirmative defenses under the law which he or she may plead in enforcement actions. It is important to have an understanding of what the law requires and allows. The Stanley Law Office handles enforcement matters and can advise a respondent on how to proceed and protect his or her rights. 

Depending on the severity of the violation and the likely outcome, it may not be advisable to seek enforcement. However, you should not simply assume that you do not have a case. Seek the advice of experienced attorneys Christopher C. and Patricia L. Cooke at Cooke Law Firm, P.C. to gain a better understanding of what rights you actually have. Mr. and Mrs. Cooke have more than 30 years combined trial experience and will handle your case with the utmost attention to detail and sensitivity.

Areas Served

North Texas Personal Injury and Family Law Attorney

Cooke Law Firm, P.C., serves clients in Texas cities such as Cleburne, Alvarado, Burleson, Joshua, Mansfield, Arlington and others throughout Johnson County and Tarrant County, and the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. To learn more about the investigation, negotiation and litigation services at Cooke Law Firm, P.C., contact us by calling us at (817) 558-1811. You can also send us a secure message and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Cooke Law Firm, P.C.

Our Practice Areas

Cleburne Attorneys Christopher and Patricia Cooke will give you aggressive representation of your rights in personal injury, family law, child welfare law and criminal law, in and out of court

Personal Injury Law

We represent injured victims and families in personal injury and wrongful death cases in Cleburne, Texas, and throughout the state and nation. We provide highly personalized and individualized services for our clients. We are strong and experienced advocates who have...

18-Wheeler Accident Lawyer

When an enormous tractor-trailer or big rig traveling at high speeds "T-bones" a conventional motor vehicle in a semi accident or 18-wheeler accident, drivers and passengers in conventional cars and trucks can suffer serious injuries to the brain and spinal...

Serious Injuries Attorney

Pedestrian accidents, bicycle and motorcycle accidents, and violent collisions involving tractor-trailers can cause life-changing, serious injuries: brain injuries, damage to the spinal cord, broken bones, paralysis and wrongful death. In Cleburne and throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, the experienced personal injury...

Wrongful Death

There is no more devastating moment in a person's life than when one hears of the tragic, untimely death of a loved one in an accident. If the accident that killed your relative, family member or friend was caused by...

Family Law

Do you need sound guidance for a parenting plan, child support calculation or the dividing of marital assets during your North Texas divorce?  Cooke Law Firm, P.C., have provided quality family law representation to individuals, couples and family clients in...

Divorce and Property Division

Experienced Service From a Texas Property Division Lawyer The divorce process sparks many different emotions. You may feel angry, worried, upset or even relieved. No matter what emotion you may be feeling, at Cooke Law Firm, P.C., we will personally...